This place could use some work! (Contact me if you know how make this trash blog not look like trash)

Thursday, January 25, 2018

I just want to play Majora's Mask on my Switch



Here's something game developers used to know: new consoles are inherently worse than the ones they replace (at first).


I remember how, after the initial wave of awe and wonder at how amazing and fun it was to just look at, let alone play a game like Motor Storm in 2007 wore off, I didn't really play my PS3 much for the first couple of years that I had it. I spent FAR more time playing games on my original XBox, which already had a library of games that I loved to play, and I even bought a Nintendo 64 of my own (since my brother wouldn't let me play on our old one) exclusively for the purpose of playing Majora's Mask, which I had heard so much about, yet still not played in 2007.

It was only around 2009 or so that I started playing a bunch of PS3 games, a solid two years after the console came out and I got it. Hilariously some of the first long games I played on it were PS2 games I hadn't gotten to play during the previous generation since I had an XBox.

I bet you can see my point already. New consoles are flashy, they're cool, they're powerful, but they don't have any games.

I'm dealing with this on my Nintendo Switch right now. Sure, Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are great games (though I've got gripes with both of them), but they're just two games. These days, I often find myself switching it on only to switch the damn thing off again because I've played all the games there are in the entire Switch library that I want to play, and that's like four games.

Why can't I play Majora's Mask on my Switch? I can play it on my 3DS. I can play it on that N64 I've still got. I can emulate it at 4K on my PC, and I've seen Digital Foundry emulate Super Mario Sunshine on an Nvidia Shield TV (which has a very similar processor to the Switch) so I know it's definitely possible to emulate an N64 game on there. Why hasn't Nintendo done this yet?

I'd pay you, Nintendo. How much do you want? Thirty bucks? Sixty bucks? I'll pay it, I just want more ways to play Majora's Mask.

Maybe I'm a bit weird about Majora's Mask. It's a great game, but I definitely replay it more often than it deserves. But what about other games, what about ALL the other games Nintendo's made for their previous consoles? Are they just going to languish in growing obscurity as time goes on? The Wii U was even actually really good at this, you could play almost any game Nintendo had ever made on it through its backwards comparability with the Wii and GameCube and the virtual console. What happened?

This is what I get for being an early adopter I guess.

Well... here's that video of a fan-made cinematic for a remake of Majora's Mask (this was made before the 3DS remake came out):


*sigh

if only

No comments:

Post a Comment